8th Annual Steampunk Fair | Coming Saturday, September 17, 2022!
The Southern Maine Steampunk Fair, now in its 8th year, returns as the Museum’s most popular and unique events.
Vendors, performers, and lecturers all return to the Museum to celebrate the art of Steampunk, a niche aesthetic that blends Victorian steampower with the future.
This year, the event takes place Saturday, September 17th from 11am to 4pm.
Tickets are $5 each and are a major fundraiser for the Museum. Ages 12 and under are free.
Schedule of Events:
- 10AM – 4PM: Jules Verne’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,” filmed in 1916, with new musical score! Showings run continuously.
- 11:00AM – Jessica Lucci, author: Children’s story reading, “Lunch Time Choo Choo”
- 11:30AM – Tintype making demonstration with Cole Caswell
- 12PM: The Victorian Homes of Summer Street Tour (great opportunity for photos!)
- 12:30PM – Paula Gallucci (designer): Presentation, “Designing for Steampunk Costuming”
- 1PM – 3PM Live Music by Bellamy Jazz Band
- 2PM: The Victorian Homes of Summer Street Tour (great opportunity for photos!)
- 2:30PM – Professor Elizabeth DeWolfe (UNE): Presentation, “Mourning Jewelry and Women’s Hair Work”
- 3:00PM – Costume Contest Winners Announced!
Throughout the day:
- Vendors & artists
- 19th century Cursive Writing and Decoding Challenge!
- Costumes & Photo Spots
- Costume Contest (see more information below)
- Learning & Imagination Station (for kids & kids-at-heart!)
- Explore the museum – two amazing Victorian dresses on display for TODAY ONLY!
- Pop-up Victoriana exhibit
- Hair Jewelry pop-up display
- The Forkin’ Good Grub food truck!
- Tea service station
- Lawn games
Costume Contest 2022
Upon arrival, please check-in at the Ticket Station in the main courtyard. We will take your photo (with your costume!) and ask for your contact information.
Entrants will be accepted from 10am – 1:30pm. Please make sure to enter your costume in the contest BEFORE 1:30PM!
Votes will be cast by Fairgoers starting at 1pm through 3:00pm (each visitor will receive a blank ballot). Winners will be announced a little after 3:00PM!
Categories (you can only win once):
- Best Adult Costume
- Best Children’s Costume
- Best Group/Duo
- Most Creative
- Crowd Favorite
All costumes must be family-friendly. Gore, graphic violence, nudity, swearing, or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the Museum staff.
Interested in volunteering as an event volunteer? Learn more and sign up.
Would you like to sponsor or support this event? Contact Cynthia Walker at [email protected] or (207)985-4802.